Wednesday 15 February 2012

One night will remind you how we touched and went our separate ways

Morgan is asleep next to me, cuddled up with her head on my arm. Damn, her head is heavy! Earlier today (or maybe I should say yesterday seeing as it is past midnight here), I tried to put on a cotton beanie on her. It was Newborn sized. It was too small and looked like a skull cap on her. She looked ridiculous! This confirmed she does have a big head after all.

With all the silly things I tell her and the vast amount of things I pick on her for, she will grow up with a thick skin and ready to take on whoever will try to bully her. If her hair colour sticks and she grows up to be a true Ginger, she'll encounter her fair share of people who will try to bully her. Unfortunately for them she will have heard all the ginger jokes and grown used to them. I can't help but find them hilarious, much to her dad's dismay. (She takes the gingerness , amongst other traits, from him.)
[I can totally see Morgan in that girl's stead *points at picture*]

Tonight she seems to just have wanted to cuddle up for the sake of it, not out of the need for body heat to help her get over the gassy pains. I ventured upstairs for a short while, leaving her to cuddle up with my mum. The moment I returned back to bed, my mum removed Morgan from her embrace - and Morgan started protesting immediately, until I put my arms around her to hold her close. This, I must admit, she takes from me. Cuddle whores ftw!

On a related note, I just wanted to give my input on the subject of Single Parenthood. I have mentioned this in the past, or hinted at it. I just wanted to ensure it sticks in people's minds.

Just because your relationship with the other parent didn't work out doesn't mean you have to be a bitch/dick to them and deny your child[ren] the opportunity of getting to know them - especially if they want to be involved. Any issues pertaining to your relationship - or lack of - with the other parent should be kept separate. A partner/ex-partner is a separate identity from "parent" and should be treated as such.

On the other hand, if you happen to be the non-resident parent and commit to being part of your child's life, then stick to it. A child's life isn't a game you can pick up and drop half way through only to pick it up again at a later date. If you want to be there, be there through thick and thin. An adult heart can take being broken - a child's can't.

I write the above from an outsider's point of view after seeing too many friends getting screwed over - as well as from a parent's point of view.

Always keep the child's best interest in mind, whatever you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment