Saturday 11 February 2012

Baby you're all that I want, when you're lyin' here in my arms

I wonder what Morgan dreams of. I love watching her sleep. Her sleep tends to involve a lot of eye rolling, changing facial expressions and sounds.

A friend had warned me about the eye rolling. Good thing she did, as it would have been quite a shock had I been unaware of it! It tends to bring to mind a cute version of The Exorcist - pretty creepy, I assure you! The whole eyes rolling deal is due to her optic muscles not being mature yet, so she doesn't have much control over them. This is the same reason some babies go cross-eyed from time to time, or have instances of "lazy eye". Her eye rolling during sleep signifies that she is within the REM period of her napping.
Not the bald, whiney guy-fronted band, no.

REM - Rapid Eye Movement - is a particular instance within sleep where A newborn baby spends more than 80% of total sleep time in REM. People's vividly recalled dreams mostly occur during REM sleep. [For more info clicky here.]

Needless to say, besides from the loving gaze that is to be expected, my watching her sleep is also heavily sprinkled with curiosity. Watching her eyes flutter open and roll up as she chuckles makes me wonder what World Domination Plans she is dreaming up!

Sometimes she smiles, other times she whines like a puppy, and other times still she let's out a cry in her sleep. I would love to see what she sees, to feel what she feels. Seeing her tiny body go through this experience makes me imagine that it can only hold one emotion at a time. It must make for quite an interesting experience - especially considering that her dreaming kicked in immediately. Having had limited exposure to the outside world [and by outside, I mean out of the womb] makes it even more enticing!
I wonder, does she dream of me? What do I look like from her point of view? What does she think of me? And how do I sound to her? I will never know, unfortunately. I can only hope she sees me as the one that will protect her by any means necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment