Tuesday 10 January 2012

I see a red door and I want it painted..... Hmmm....

Shortly after I found out I was pregnant, I realised my flat - the one I loved and called home for the previous couple of years, was not appropriate for a family.  It was a Single Person's flat.


I lived on the second floor in an awesome corner-plot apartment with the nicest landlord ever.  I did have some noisy neighbours but waging musical wars on them usually did the trick. By musical wars, I mean pointing powerful speakers towards the front door and blasting music at them.  Good music with the appropriate message.



I needed to find a place that was closer to my family - within walking distance preferably.  I needed to be able to be closer so that it would not pose issues with babysitting arrangements - especially when I return back to work.  I also wanted us to be able to go by and visit without having it be an Epic Journey.


The place needed to be bigger - big enough for two and a half people to live in,  At that point, I was still under the impression things were fine with the ex, and that he'd be moving in.  I wanted it to be Our Home.  A place small enough to be able to keep in good order, but big enough to allow us a certain degree of privacy.  Living with a partner doesn't mean you have to be his/her shadow 24/7.

The new place also had to be on the Ground Floor preferably.  This way it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to go places alone with Creature and taking the pram/pushchair with us.  It would also mean less safety concerns.

After a couple of months searching for a new home, I finally found it.  The ideal house.

There was just one issue...


This, is the Pink Disney Princess nightmare.


Don't get me wrong, I like the furniture in it.  It's just that... well... I don't do pink.  Unless it is my hair we're talking about.  And I don't do Disney Princesses.

Seeing as it is still unknown whether Creature is a boy or a girl, I've pretty much left the room as it was for the time being.  Once s/he is born, I'll ask for permission to carry out some modifications.

I want to get rid of all the Disney Princesses crap - and if it turns out Creature is a girl, I'd like to hang up some tasteful Fairy pictures such as this, and thisCicely Mary Barker did some pretty awesome stuff!  I might leave the walls pink, we'll see. Though I'd prefer them to be a light lilac.  If, on the other hand, Creature is a boy, I'll probably go for mythical beasts - such as this, or this! Should Creature be a boy, I will definitely ask for permission to paint the walls - I really don't want my son to grow up in a pink room.  If I manage to, I'd wish to paint the ceiling a sky blue and have clouds there.  I've always dreamt of having a Sky ceiling.


One thing I really like in Nurseries are trees - there are quite a few cool examples online - such as this room, and this other one too!  I probably won't bother for the time being though - once I know whether we'll be extending our stay in this place by another year, I'll decide whether to go for it or not.

I'd love to hear your ideas and opinions! What would you have wanted your room to be like growing up? What have you opted to decorate your child[ren]'s room with? What are your plans for future kidlets?

1 comment:

  1. You most definetly need a unicorn in the room... Boy or girl.... Unicorns are a must....

    ReplyDelete