Wednesday 25 January 2012

Mister Sandman, bring me a dream?

Whoever coined the saying "Sleeping like a baby" clearly did not have any children of his/her own.  Out of all the people I know with children, only one of them never ever had problems with her child waking up in the middle of the night.


My insomnia is stress-related - and since I'm anywhere between minutes and days away from giving birth at the moment, stress levels are soaring.  I don't know what Creature's sleeping patterns will be like - and my greatest concern is my own insomnia to be honest, not his/her inability to sleep a whole night.  My problem is that when insomnia gets truly chronic, I'd be doing something one minute, and the next I would start nodding off.  I just crash. Inevitably, I worry that this will happen whilst Creature is awake and something might happen which I would end up sleeping through due to sheer exhaustion.  These thoughts don't help me combat the insomnia.

I really, really hope that I will manage to find a solution.  Most people get an hour or so of shut-eye whenever they get someone to babysit for them.Since I only crash when my body decides to, I truly doubt it will be an option for me.  Even when exhausted, I don't manage to sleep on command.


Once Creature is here, I'll know how difficult his/her sleeping pattern will be to cope with. This article gives some hints and tips on how to help your child sleep throughout the night.  I don't know how efficient these suggestions are - but I guess they must work for at least 1 person on the face of the planet.

If you have any suggestions on how to get a child to sleep, feel free to comment!

[The only sure way I know of is a bop on the head. But I'm thinking it really is not an option. What say you?]

No comments:

Post a Comment